Thursday, November 25, 2010

Unorthodox Gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Like many of you my plate is absolutely full this weekend with family, friends, food and in my case hockey! My blog writing/reading time will be severely limited (by my own choice) for the next few days but I couldn't go out without at least a small gratitude list!

I read Jill's blog the other day and I took it to heart. Being thankful for things that appear to be setbacks....Being thankful for things actually may appear to royally "suck" at the time but are often blessings in diguise. So, here's my list of things I constantly b*tch about but in reality, I am overwhelmingly thankful for!!

* I'm thankful that my husband travels for work. I'm thankful that half the people in town wonder if I'm a single mother at times. I'm thankful that I often have to be in 3 places at one time. I am incredibly thankful BECAUSE..... after 13 years of marriage, I still get butterflies when Joe comes home from a trip. Makes it ALL worth it! Most of all, I'm thankful that if my whole world falls apart, my marriage never will!

* I'm thankful that I had a fractured hip which totally destroyed my spirits for over 4 months. I'm thankful that no matter how much I wanted to, I COULDN'T run. I'm thankful that I had to miss the Twin Cities Marathon and got to experience watching my husband qualify for Boston in his first marathon! I'm thankful that I have a newfound appreciation for my body and my ability!

*
I'm thankful that it is currently -8 below with a windchill of -29. I'm thankful that instead of running I am making making a paper turkey with my son.

* I'm thankful that my children aren't perfect. I'm thankful they don't have to live up to that. I'm thankful for the many mistakes they are constantly making and for the life lessons they are learning. I am SO thankful to be a mother!

* I am thankful that we are always fighting to make ends meet with the activities we've taken on. I'm thankful that we have to make sacrifices to have the things we want. I'm thankful that my kids won't grow up believing things are served on silver platters....

* I'm thankful that God's plan was to take my sister home before her 20th birthday. I will never entirely understand but I'm thankful for the incredible bond I now have with my other sisters. I'm thankful for the memories....

*
I'm thankful that I don't have any running friends here (tough one). I'm thankful that I reached out to the blog community and they gave back! I'm thankful for the countless friendships I've made this past year!

* I'm thankful for unanswered prayers. (Specifically, that God didn't give me the tapeworm I asked for when I was on crutches) I'm thankful that I don't have all the answers and I don't make all the decisions...

Happy Thanksgiving! Your glass is half full. Take a moment, treasure the simple things, be significant. Thankyou Meg!

19 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

Great post. Love how you turn it all around. Didn't know about your wish for a tapeworm. Awesome! So I am thankful for running in the pool because...because...I'll get back to you. I'm sure there's a reason.

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

love this post! happy thanksgiving =) LOL @SUAR!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Girl this made me tear up a little bit. What a great perspective. That is adorable that you still get butterflies when Joe gets home:) I am going to copy your view on your hip injury! Thank you!
I hope you are having a blast with your 6 sisters!! I am going to have to try this lefsa!! I can't believe the dentist office has so much junk!!!

Running and living said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh, now YOU made me cry. You are a remarkable wife, mom, sister and friend and you are entirely significant to everyone ELSE around you, thanks for the reminders, Jenn.

Have a fun HOCKEY weekend :) !

AnnaMac said...

I like this post a lot! I also like that you're a hockey family. I come from a hockey family too. Happy Thanksgiving!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

this is my favorite "thanks" post that i've read today. love the perspective and creative spin on life.

thanks for the comment...when you read my report you'll understand what a ridiculous race it ended up being. but it is great to know that i'm not the only one who HATES shorter races. although this one ended up being pretty fun... strangely enough.

happy thanksgiving!

ajh said...

Good job turning things around. Enjoy your weekend.

Lauren said...

Great post!

Jill said...

Hahah, Beth is cracking me up. I know that when we go through these very difficult times in life, we can get so focused on the sucky part and I think that's ok, we have to grieve and ask WHY and even be pissed...but it makes us stronger in the end, and that's what God has in store for us - I think.

I missed you so much when you weren't blogging this summer. So glad you're back :). And more than anything, I so hope our paths will cross again VERY soon!

Caroline said...

Love this post
happy thanksgiving..coming over from hotlegs runner!

Kathy said...

You are amazing and inspiring. Thank yo so much for this post and happy post thanksgiving!!!

Lindsay said...

wow that sure is seeing some positive in a couple not-so positive things. (freezinger than freezing weather? yikes) how many sisters do you have? just curious. i have 3! what would you have needed a tapeworm for, toothpick? :)

hope you and your fam had a happy thanksgiving!

Kelly said...

Great post! It looks like you truly have a wonderful family who you love very much! God gives us so many reasons to be thankful...and you my friends seemed to have found them :) Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

You made me blush:) Definitely extensions, the clip in kind. But feel free to come visit me and you can steal those:) Have a great Saturday!

Nathan said...

I've been here a few times to read this post over the weekend. You aren't usually so serious, but when you are- you really know how to get to a girl!

I don't know how you do it as a mom with Joe gone so much, especially with work and the kids' activities- but that must be an awesome feeling when he gets home :)You ARE amazing!!!!

Sorry to know about losing a sister. I treasure the one I have. Totally my opposite, but I love her.

Love that you made a turkey with your son! Nathan and I made a pinecone turkey with googly eyeballs =D...

The injury thing was a real blessing for me too- so was getting pregnant with #3 a little unexpectedly. :)

God Bless you!! Hope you are having a GREAT thanksgiving weekend.

Wendy said...

Love your list!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Love it!!! I just read Jill's post too :)

C2Iowa said...

Great point of view post. Thanks