Saturday, May 1, 2010

Movin' on and a 5K!

So-Boston in the rearview mirror and on to bigger and better things. I wish!! Nothing bigger or better than Boston on the horizon but the show must go on and I need to focus on something new. I am definitely struggling through this recovery. My mileage base was good going into Boston so I didn't really feel too beat up from the race physically. I took 3 days off after the race and when I got back to running last Friday I really didn't feel any soreness. The part I'm struggling with is definitely mental. What am I working toward???? Boston was always the light at the end of the tunnel and now I've passed the light....Anyway, it is slowly getting better and I'm gradually getting my mojo back. Thursday, I ran my first run over 5 miles and I felt like I was getting my old self back (10 miles/1:18/7:47). I brought 3 to tempo pace in the middle and felt pretty good.

I'm trying to make some decisions on how I want to train in the next couple of months. I know a huge weakness of mine is my speed. I can get to a pace and hold it for and extended distance but I really struggle at distances of the half or below. My current half PR is 1:37 last year. I think I am faster than that now but probably not a lot. I haven't really run any short distance races in over 9 months and I really want to spend some time trying to improve at shorter distance. I do have a half marathon in Fargo in 3 weeks with a lot of friends and family participating. I'm not sure if I will race this yet...I also have another half 4 weeks after that in which I'm certain I will run hard.

Now to the highlight of my day!!! This morning I got a chance to run a local 5K with my 9 year old daughter Reese. My husband and Ryan were also running the 5K and My little 6 year old Max was tackling the 1 mile! This is the second 5K I've run with Reese and I think they both rank up there with my FAVORITE races. Reese is such a little trooper. She is ALWAYS smiling and always wants to go running with me although it hasn't worked out yet this year. I also think she has a lot of potential for a little 9 year old. Here's our race report!

Got to the race about 45 minutes early. It was sprinkling and VERY windy but the course is almost like an out and back so it would even itself out. We picked up our race T-shirts and numbers and Joe and the kids visited in the City center while I headed out to run the course and get in a couple extra miles (3.12 miles/22:45). I made it back about 10 minutes before the gun went off.

Max had a couple of buddies to run his one mile race with and I had a friend to watch him so I gave him a hug and wished him luck! Joe was running on his own and Ryan was running with 2 of her friends. Reese and I made our way to the start and we were off! We were running directly into a 20 mph wind so I kept telling her not to burn herself out and keep the pace down. Joe was way ahead and Ryan was a little in front of us. We finally got a bit of a reprieve at about the 1 mile when the course turned and we got at least a cross wind. Reese was looking so good! I kept telling her to slow down since she hasn't run once this year and was now attempting a 5K!


1 mile all smiles!!

We made it to 1.75 miles before she even stopped talking. She was just smiling and chatting the whole time. I really wanted to make sure she could finish the race and was cautious to keep us going slow enough. Right about 2 miles the course turned with the wind more at our back!


Mile 2-still smiling!


Mile 2.5


This is my favorite pic!

I really souldn't believe how well she was doing. She hasn't done ANY running this year and she seemed to still be going strong at 2.5 miles. We could see the finish area way up ahead at the City center and she got really excited to see that! With about 50 yards to go she gave it a good kick to finish strong.


Coming up to the finish!

Official time 27:08 (8:44). Reese finished and really seemed like she had a lot left in the tank (I was worried she would crash but not at all). First thing she tells Joe is "I would have beat Ryan if mom didn't make me slow down!" Do you think my kids might be a little competitive with each other!! She was also the youngest kid to run the 5K this year as they also had a one mile and a 5K walk. Ryan finished with her friends which was definitely just a fun run. Joe finished 3rd overall and Max was all smiles when we got to the finish! Anyway, I was super proud of my family today! I love days like this and I love seeing Reese aspire to do better immediately after she finished. I will let her run her first 5K on her own in July of this year! We'll see how she does! I would only be too happy to have a live-in running partner!!


Relaxing a little afterwards!

Did a few more miles after to finish out the day with 12 miles. I'm calling that my long run for the week!!! I will likely run about 5 tomorrow and finish out the week with about 38 miles but also knocked out 30 miles on the bike. Sounds so low from my previous mileage but actually felt like a lot this week! Oh-the joys of recovery.....

22 comments:

ajh said...

My favorite pic of her is approaching the finish! What a good job! She must be very fun to race with! I am impressed with her time.

Julie said...

Hi Jenn,
Congrats to Reese!! She did so good for a nine year old:) She had an awesome time!! I love all of the pictures...she looks so happy:)

LOL to your...I have a problem with speed!?! What? Jenn, you are so fast...look at your half marathon PR! I am just attempting to lower mine down to 1:50 to 1:45 by the end of the season:) You are going to do just fantastic at your upcoming half!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Wow! I feel like such a slacker. It seems everyone but me is back to training. I still have 2 weeks left of no running. Then it will be really tough to start back, but I can't wait. Great race report. So excited for Reese and all the possibilities. Very Exciting!

Suzy said...

Great picture of Reese kicking it toward the finish! Enjoy lower mileage week.

J said...

That is great! I love the pictures!

Melissa said...

I love this!! How fun to run a race with your daughter! I hope I can do that one day. How young was she when she started really running?

Congrats on a great day.

Unknown said...

Jenn, this was my favorite post of the week! I loved the pictures of Reese, especially your favorite, she looked so tough. Rock on Reese, you have your mom's stamina and natural talent!
That's great that you have some new goals, I'd like to do a half-marathon sooner than July so I'm going to start searching...

Running and living said...

Jenn, you do have the speed, you just don't know it! Based on your marathon, you should be able to run a half in 1:35 or so, so your 1:37 is not that far off, and you can totally do that now.
I love that pic of Reese too! Awesome! And look at her form, flawless! Kids run so well bc they are fearless! Good luck with the new goals. 38 miles, wow, I only managed 30, with a 10 mile long run, but that's OK:)

Lauren said...

Wow that's really cool. Kids are quite amazing!

Lisa said...

I've never heard of races being on a week day. Was this a big community event that the schools were involved with? Congrats to all of you! Sounds like it was a great event and tons of fun!

It's good you have a few races on the horizon. I think all runners can commiserate with you on the 'post-race let down.'

Bethany + Ryan said...

I laughed out loud when u said ur weakness was speed! It doesn't get much faster than u! Great pics, I love the post 2.5mi one too, so cute!! I hope to work on speed this summer too!

Lindsay said...

you sure are hopping right back to it - 10's and 12's already! i attempted (almost) 5 yesterday. felt energetic, until i about mile 1.5 lol. legs still a little tired i guess.

loved the pics of reese! she is a natural. way to "hold her back" mom, gah! ;)

Jamie said...

How fun! Love all the pics!

Michelle said...

Awesome that the whole family participated! Great pictures! Congrats to everyone!

SeeGirlRun said...

Oh how wonderful to have a daughter to run with! And she's absolutely beautiful. Way too cool!!!

Laura

Valerie said...

Wow! Reese did a great job! She beat me at my 5k I ran Saturday!

Also, kudos to you for getting in all that mileage last week!

Pining for Pinterest said...

I want to take my kids out running with me now!!! I loved all the pictures. She did awesome :)

Jill said...

I think spending times with your kids doing races is priceless; getting the great health benefits, of course, and just sharing something you're so passionate about wtih them so that maybe one day they'll be just like their mamma :). Your kiddos are such natural athletes, no wonder Reese shined in the race, congrats t her and to your whole family!!! And I would LOVE to see what you can do in a 5 or 10K....speedy is truly your middle name, you'd rock those races! I think mostly what I like about the shorter races is that they give us great speedwork training!!!
HUGS!!

Katie A. said...

I can totally relate to the feelings you are having after Boston! But, it sounds like you have some races and plans to keep movin'!
I love the pics of race kickin' it into the finish! That is just priceless that you got to run with her! Congrats to all your peanuts on a great race!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Wow! Congrats to Reese, great pics too! :)

Susan said...

Great pics of her running! I love her kicking it in at the finish!

Jennifer said...

What amazing kids! Good for you for encouraging them at such a positive endeavor!