Friday, April 23, 2010

BOSTON RACE REPORT!

So-I wonder if I can compile all this junk into one single race report! We'll see!

Official time-3:18:37
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30909183

Got to Boston on Friday! Raining, cold, and not exactly cheery! Basically checked into our hotel and headed over to the mall by the Convention center. We were too late for the expo but not too late to check out the Lululemon store that I was dying to go to. Awesome store, spent WAY too much money there. Good thing there isn't one around here although I've already been stalking their internet site!!

Saturday we went to the expo, picked up my packet and my husband picked up his for the 5K. We did a little walking around but it was pretty cool and windy and not the greatest weather for sightseeing. I managed to get a nap in and a short run! I don't know if it was just inspiration from the Expo but I wanted to run SO fast on Saturday! My legs felt great and I was praying they would feel like this on Monday!




In front of Legal Seafoods-Good food!!


Sunday morning-up early because Joe was running the 5K. I LOVE being a spectator. I was scanning the crowds for other bloggers that I knew were running but no luck! So many people! After the race we stuck around to watch the mile races which were AWESOME! Watching Sara Hall was definitely a highlight of the weekend for me! I just really think she needs to lose some weight and get in shape though..lol!!! What a cute girl! I also had a friend running a half marathon this morning way up in Canada and I was super pumped to be cheering for her from afar as well! She KILLED IT and this was practically as exciting as my own race for me!!


Seriously, get in shape Sara!

Sunday night we went out to dinner with my sister and her husband (My sister was also running (finished in 3:24) and shoved down some bread and pasta! I managed to get to bed by 9:30 and for someone who hardly ever sleeps more than 3 hours straight I was OUT COLD!!!

Race morning! Sunny-WTH! I thought it was supposed to be rainy and windy. Anyway, this totally brightened my mood and although I was beyond nervous, excitement was also settling in. I got ready for the race and tried to conceal the monster crater that was appearing on my chin (I'm attributing this to stress..not the junkfood I'd been eating for the past few days!) Joe walked me down to the buses and as we said goodbye I had my first of several meltdowns over the weekend! Yes, I need therapy.


In the hotel room stretching out a bit before the race!


Before leaving the hotel to walk to the buses!

The busride to Hopkinton was great. I was actually excited to get on the bus because it was pretty cold just standing around. Great running weather but a little cool for just standing. I sat next to a guy who had run 40 marathons and had a great conversation the whole way. When we arrived at athlete's village I hopped off the bus and got in line for the bathroom. When I came out, I got right back in line. Checked my bag and headed to the start corral! It was super sunny and absolutely PERFECT running weather!

The RACE:

So-I did have a goal- 3:20 -and I decided to follow a paceband and use my watch to try to acheive it. I also wore my Garmin because I love having the data afterwards. I had custom made my paceband online because the Nike one wanted me to run a 7:23 first mile and I am more of an 8 minute starter! Anyway, started the race completely void of all my previous nerves. I was just SO excited to finally be running. The first mile was downhill and I clocked a 7:52. I was aiming around 8 minutes so I was under but I also wondered if I could hold 7:37 for 25 more miles which weren't all downhill. Quickly got into a groove and was able to stay on pace comfortably through 15K. Somewhere between here and the half I started to really warmup and wanted to pick up the pace. I've learned a few lessons in the past and knew I had a special treat coming from mile 16-21 so I held back!

The towns we passed through were awesome! Great spectators! I was totally soaking in every part of this race and felt fantastic. Crossed the half in 1:38:59 so in great shape to meet my goal except for the fact that the second half of the race is OBVIOUSLY more difficult than the first half. I think mile 15 or so was entirely downhill. Downhills are good for me and this was the best part of the race. Totally let me rest and get ready for Newton. The first of the Newton hills was a breeze and for a moment I thought the hype was a bunch of bull. The second one however was a bit nastier. Somewhere in here fatigue started setting in a bit and I got the first glimpse of what was ahead. I also knew I had only single digits left and that I could certainly finish. Heartbreak hill was definitely there and no piece of cake but the spectators were awesome and I knew my husband was waiting at the top so I just kept pushing forward. I felt a huge sense of relief to get over this hump!! I saw my husband at the top and he was so busy trying to take my picture that I darn near had to attack him to get my handheld water bottle he was supposed to hand me!!


Mile 22-I really hate race pics of myself because I always look like I'm in labor but my husband worked his *ss off to get this picture practically trampling spectators in the process. Just a little saturated from mostly sweat but also water I kept pouring down the front of myself!


OK-not trying to be mean but someone please tell me why the lady spectating is wearing a fuel belt, a Garmin and standing on her tiptoes..lol!!

The worst part of the race for me actually set in around mile 23. I have NEVER hit a wall in a race and I usually finish much stronger than I start. Anyway, about mile 23 with a 5K to go I seriously considered not trying for 3:20 and just getting a PR (sub 3:25) I don't think I entertained this thought too long but in retrospect I know I was tired or it wouldn't have crossed my mind. I walked through a water stop somewhere around here which was the first time I stopped running in the race. I think it was probably less than 5 seconds but it gave me enough of a mental breather to start up again. Coming into Boston down Commonwealth was awesome! The spectators were unbelievable!! At the one mile to go marker I looked down and knew I would be under 3:20. This was a huge relief and the most exhilarating feeling! I also decided since I would reach my goal I didn't need to have any semblence of a finish kick and just cross the damn line. We had watched the mile races the day before and after coming around the corner onto Boylston the finish was just up ahead. I thought this was the case in the marathon and when I saw I still had to run a long way down Boylston I was a bit deflated. Anyway, crossed the finish line and really felt a sense of accomplishment that I'm not sure I'll ever feel again. A flood of tears erupted when they gave me my medal!


Wet, Gross, but HAPPY!!

Overall, the Boston experience-UNBELIEVABLE! So great to meet up with people at Jill's B-day party and if anyone has pics please send them to my email!!!

I will probably do a follow up post in the next day or so with some of my reflections from the week but since this is already a marathon post in itself I'll sign off for now. Thankyou so much for all the well-wishes and super congrats to all those who completed this amazing race!!!!

33 comments:

Kelly said...

Great job! 3:18:00...holy cow! Enjoy your recovery :) P.S. I love your tank!

Jen Feeny said...

Amazing recap! I got chills! I so wish we had gotten to meet up! Congrats on such a great race! I will def see you there next year!

Genesis said...

i teard up when i read you teard up..lol. i know im weird.
again, you are awesome!

Pining for Pinterest said...

WOW!! What an amazing time and race recap :)

Stephanie said...

Awesome recap! And yea for hubby for snagging a great pic of your running!

Keri said...

Great recap! Are you sure the last picture is after the marathon? You look way too good to have just run 26.2!!

I am so glad you beat your goal time! You rock!

Bethany + Ryan said...

so amazing! funny about the spectator and i think i have the answer for you...she ran a race in the morning. check out her sneaker, she is wearing a D-tag! LOL. weird tho. take the belt off and leave it in the car. 3:20 is so fast, your number will be so low next year!!! you are coming back next year, right?? :-P

Julie said...

My Minnesota Super Star did awesome in Boston:) Thanks for sharing such a wonderful race report...I love the pictures...you look fantastic as always:) I am so happy for you!! If I finished Boston and my feet went over the finish line there is no way that I could stop the tears from falling:) I am sure that it was a wonderful emotional moment for you!!

BTW: My hubby and I ate at Legal Seafood the last time we were in Boston!

Running and living said...

You had an amazing race! To feel so good up to mile 23 is unbelievable! Big congrats to you and hope your legs are recovering well:). Oh, and I absolutely love the pic that your husband took. Running is tough, and it is nice to see that in pictures!

Aron said...

you are freaking amazing!!! wow - congrats again on a GREAT boston marathon!

Susan said...

You are awesome!! Great recap and great time! I will never catch up with you! Oh, and the lady on the tippy toes, maybe she was just trying to blend in!!

Katie said...

What a great race experience! it's so awesome when you get to read such a positive race report. And your time...smoking fast! Nice job!

Jill said...

That woman was out there waiting for eternity for me, she needed to hydrate for the hours it was taking. Hahah. Totally love your race report but more importantly, your incredible journey getting to Boston and slamming that goal right out of the water. You're a true inspiration to me and I am sooo glad I got to meet you. You have been one I've followed for a very long time and felt like I knew you so well so it was with joy and pleasure that I finally got to meet you. I hope we keep in touch...and I DO have some pics to send your way tonight!! HUGS, girl...and congratulations again, I am so very happy for you!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Great race recap. So excited for you. You worked hard and it paid off on race day. So proud of you.

Teamarcia said...

Congrats on a phenomenal race! Loved your recap but wish I could have met you! Way to show those hills who's boss!

Kruns2 said...

You are one speedy Mama! I can keep that pace for a 10K but that's about it. Maybe some day...Way to rock Boston!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Wow oh wow!! Fast and AMAZING! congrats!

J said...

Great race report! Awesome job at Boston!

ajh said...

Great race report! You are fast! I love how hard your husband worked for a picture. That would mean a lot to me! Your sister is fast too!

Velma said...

Just amazing!!

The un-Zen Runner said...

Maybe the lady with the fuel belt had to walk a quarter mile from her car to the spectator area. That can really work up an appetite. Hahaha. Oh and my girlfriend is always trying to get pictures of my face at the very end of races, because my face shows the pain and she likes to jokingly make fun of the picture later. Cracks me up. :)

akjenniekt said...

Your recap was great- congrats on a great time! I thought your husband got a pretty good pic, hope he did have to trample too many people to get it :)

Michelle said...

Great recap and way too funny about almost having to tackle your husband! Congratulations to you!

You still look great - after running a marathon and you still look like you did before you started!

Anonymous said...

ahahahah, I caught the lady with the fuel belt right away! I have to assume maybe she was going to give it to a runner?? Too funny!

Great report an great job!

Unknown said...

What a fun recap of your run and Boston experience! I'm so glad I met you and congrats on such a wonderful race! I'm still in awe of your training and efforts up to the race, I've told your story a few times to friends and it's just incredible. YOU ARE SO STRONG!

Lindsay said...

you are amazing! congrats on a great race :) maybe you and your friend sara can start working out together and get in shape... lol totally kidding i hope you know.

mean about the spectator lady... maybe she had walked/jogged over to the race to spectate! gah! ;) at least she's trying? maybe?

26.2 Princess said...

Love your report! What a great race you had. I can only dream of BQing again, let alone running a sub 3:20 in any marathon! I'm in awe and you looked great doing it! Congratulations! I too had a great experience and a really solid run. Just an amazing event!

Suzy said...

Jenn - WOW, congrats on a great race! It sounds like Boston treated you well. You look great in your pics.

Katie A. said...

So, I'm way behind if you haven't noticed :)
That was an awesome race report and I am so happy for you! You did amazing out there and someday when I grow up, I want to be like you!
It was so nice to finally meet you and your hubbs - so sad you guys live so far away! Hopefully, one day soon we could cross paths again and run together! Awesome job!

Quinton J said...

3:18 ?!?!?!
DAAYYYMMMMNNN!
You deserve 3 Boston jackets. A Boston hat. A scarf. Leg warmers. Mittens. And maybe another jacket (for Bar Mitzvah’s n’ stuff).
You are fast.
Congratulations on this. This inspired me big-time.
Time to get my s*** together.

Amanda@runninghood said...

This is soooo inspiring! Seriously! I hope I can run a time like this! Wow! I don't know why I have not stalked your old blog posts yet! This is good stuff.

Okay, you wear a watch and your Garmin? Why? just curious.

And do you really carry your water all the way or is that electrolyte drink?

Seriously you have good genes...your sister ran a 3:20something? I want to see some sister pics!

Amanda@runninghood said...

oh and i"m laughing my ass off at the comment you made about the chick with the water belt and garmin on her toes.:)

Amanda@runninghood said...

Funny to see that I read this a year ago. And still laughing at that picture of that lady on her toes with the fuel belt. Love you girl. Ahhhhh, so unsure about this whole thing.